For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
Ingredients (Yields 24 medium sized cupcakes)
- 2 1/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature (alternatively, mix the juice of half a lemon with fresh milk and let sit for 10min to get buttermilk)
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the brown sugar and continue beating until fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just till all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, being careful NOT TO OVERMIX.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
* for mini cupcakes, reduce the baking time to 12-15 minutes.
For the Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
- 150 grams Philadelphia cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 50 grams unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 12 Oreo cookies for crumbs (no cream. place them in a plastic bag and crush with a pounder or a rolling pin)
- 12 Oreo cookies for garnish (half them to get 24 halves. you can use the creamed halves from the above)
- To prepare the frosting, in the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth and airy. Gently fold in the cookie crumbs with a spatula.
- Scoop the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe frosting decoratively on top of the cupcakes. (you can use a clean ziplock bag with the corner snipped off slightly as well)
- Garnish cupcakes with Oreo cookie halves on top of the frosting.